Scott joined the firm in May 2009 after earning a Masters of Law in Taxation from the SMU Dedman School of Law and his practice focuses on tax, estate, and business planning, as well as guardianship, trust, and probate administration.
Scott is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This certification demonstrates his special competence in sophisticated planning to maximize management and protection of his clients’ wealth over generations. He takes pride in working closely with these families long after the drafting is complete to help bear some of the burdens that can arise throughout the guardianship, probate, and trust administration process. He also assists in fiduciary litigation matters and has been successful at all levels of the Texas judicial system.
Scott is an established tax attorney and has represented clients before the IRS for more than 15 years. He is highly sought after for protection in IRS collection matters, to resolve complex audits, and to defend countless tax controversies throughout the state of Texas. Scott also regularly advises on tax planning matters with a comprehensive style to develop solutions that minimize his clients’ liability from the myriad of federal, state, and local taxation.
Prior to joining the firm, Scott worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers in its International Assignment Solutions group advising Fortune 100 companies and their employees on a variety of international tax planning and compliance matters. While in law school, he clerked for the United States Attorney’s Office where he assisted the Affirmative Civil Enforcement division in identifying and preventing fraud against the government.
Combining his extensive professional experience and exceptional academic credentials, Scott enjoys teaching Business Law to incoming MBA students in Baylor University’s Hankamer School of Business.
Scott and his wife, Nicole, are proud to call China Spring home where they raise their three sons. In his free time, Scott loves coaching his boys’ sports teams, volunteering with the H.O.T. Fair & Rodeo, and serving on the Board of Directors for both the Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries and the China Spring Youth Athletic Association. He recently established a charitable foundation to provide needs-based scholarships for area youth to participate in recreational sports programs.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Estate and Fiduciary Litigation
- Tax Controversy & Planning
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Business Entity Planning
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- Texas A&M University School of Law (formerly Texas Wesleyan University School of Law), Fort Worth, Texas
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Honors: cum laude
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, Hankamer School of Business, Baylor University
Professional Associations and Memberships
- McLennan County Young Lawyers Association, Officer and Director, 2011 to 2015
- Waco/McLennan County Bar Association, Member
- The College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Heart of Texas Estate Planning Council, Member
- American Inns of Court, Eldon B. Mahon Inn, 2007 to 2008
- American Inns of Court, Judge Abner V. McCall Inn, 2013 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- United States Attorneys’ Office, Civil Division, Clerk
- Thomson Reuters, International Tax Consulting
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, International Assignment Solutions
Pro Bono Activities
- H.O.T. Fair & Rodeo, Rodeo Committee
- China Spring Youth Athletic Association, President
- China Spring Youth Athletic Association, Founder
- Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries, Board of Directors